Sunday, June 03, 2012

Worship Review - Glory to God Forever

So...a while back I was thinking, I want to start blogging about some of the worship songs that are really striking me and are growing me in my walk with the Lord. Since worship music is something I have a great zeal for...because my God is so great and worthy to sing about...I thought it would be fitting, especially given the fact that this is how I have been blessed to serve in church. By God's grace only (this is in no way an attempt to brag), I have been blessed to be a part of music ministry for about 12 years now. That is crazy to me. It is something I hope has been a blessing to the Lord, and a blessing to others. All that said...while my grand plans are to write a blog post as often as I am diving into these songs, it likely won't be...but we'll see.

The most important part about a worship song in general...is that it be about the right things. The tune can be catchy but if it says nothing...it means nothing. This is not to discount music...as you can worship the Lord without any words at all, with any instrument at all. However, when it comes to your traditional corporate worship, there must be truth. The focus on the gospel of Jesus Christ is where we need to be.

That being said, the first song I am choosing to write about, and much of it is my notes from researching the purpose of the song...is Glory to God Forever, by Steve Fee.

GLORY TO GOD FOREVER
By: Steve Fee

Scripture (song purpose):
-1 Cor 10:31: In whatever we do, give glory to the Lord.
-Eph 2:10: We are His workmanship, created for good works.
-2 Sam 7:22: For this reason You are great, O Lord GOD; for there is none like You, and there is no God besides You, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

Scripture (song lyrics):
-Eph 1:3. Before the world was made
-John 1:1. There was nothing before God
-Psalm 118. We join the angels as we sing as one chorus in a symphony to the Lord.
-Psalm 139. God created me and formed me in my mothers inward parts. I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
-Gen 1:1. God is the Creator
-Rom 12:1-2. Offer your bodies as living sacrifices - Take my life and let it be...consecrated Lord to Thee

Purpose: Bringing glory to God is the core of worship and the core of life.

The world gives praise and glory to many other things aside from the Lord, which is why 2 Sam 7:22 rings true for this song, that no one is like God. This thought of bringing glory to God and taking my life captive for the Lord is counter to our culture. The world tells us to take our life and make it about ourselves, and what we want, and our mindset is...what do I want to do today or what do I need to do today? Instead, our hearts and minds should be wrapped around, what am I doing for the Lord today? How am I going to dwell on the Lord today? How am I going to remember Him? Worship Him? If we aren't dwelling on the Lord and finding out what He wants from us...then we have replaced God...usually with ourselves. Say it out loud...if God is not your God, then it is very likely that YOU are your god. And that ladies and gents...is not a good place to be.

So...fill your day with prayer and ask God to help you with that...setting Him before you. Then, take a look at your day and ask, why am I doing what I am doing today? How can I remember, and bring glory to the Lord with what I have planned for today? Maybe something is there that would not bring glory to God...DONT DO IT! The believer has God's spirit convicting me and you of sin with the purpose of repenting and turning to the Lord once again.

EVERYTHING YOU DO IS WORSHIP! Think about that...Keep thinking...every single thing you do, say, think...is an act of worship. The question is...what are you worshipping? When you bring every action, word, and thought back to that question...that will tell you who/what you are living for. 

Lastly, a plug for the band who recorded this...Fee. Although no longer together...they are fantastic! A littler more alternative if you are used to a more folk-like acoustic worship. However, the words of their songs are very clear...very motivating...and very God-glorifying. Their albums "We Shine" and "Hope Rising" are both great listens.

Short video of lead singer/author Steve Fee describing the song:
http://www.newreleasetuesday.com/article.php?article_id=295

Song via YouTube:
http://youtu.be/h64opCwLZCw

Song Lyrics:
Before the world was made,
Before You spoke it to be
You were the King of kings,
Yeah You were, yeah You were

And now You're reigning still,
Enthroned above all things
Angels and saints cry out,
We join them as we sing

Glory to God, glory to God Glory to God, forever
Glory to God, glory to God Glory to God, forever

Creator God, You gave
Me breath so I could praise
Your great and matchless name,
All my days, all my days

So let my whole life be
A blazing offering
A life that shouts and sings
The greatness of our King

Take my life and let it be
All for You and for Your glory
Take my life and let it be yours
_____

Hope you enjoy the song!

Until Jesus returns...
ipm

No comments: